SQLServer on Ubuntu Restore Tests
Just for fun I decided to test how portable backup files made on the Windows version of SQLServer restore into the Linux version of SQLServer. I used the wizard built in to my SQL2016 SSMS software connected to the Linux version running on Ubuntu 16 on Amazon EC to run the restore. The restore was uneventful. I chose the AdventureWorks2012 database simply because its what I found lying around in the directory I first looked in on my laptop.
The script version of what the wizard generated is as follows…..
USE [master] RESTORE DATABASE [AdventureWorks2012] FROM DISK = N'C:\home\ubuntu\AdventureWorks2012-Full Database Backup.bak' WITH FILE = 1, MOVE N'AdventureWorks2012_Data' TO N'C:\var\opt\mssql\data\AdventureWorks2012_Data.mdf', MOVE N'AdventureWorks2012_Log' TO N'C:\var\opt\mssql\data\AdventureWorks2012_log.ldf', NOUNLOAD, STATS = 5 GO
Interestingly the tool browsed the directory structure ok but for some reason could not find my backup file, even when saying “all files” and no it wasn’t perms or anything. I manually typed in the file name to the wizard browser and it worked fine. I am NOT using the recommended version of SSMS for connecting to Linux on purpose. I want to find out what breaks if I don’t…. 🙂