Toad Data Point, Postgres ODBC, and Windows 7
I recently ran into complexity while installing Postgres 9.3.03 ODBC drivers and data source setup for Toad Data Point 3.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. I’ll spare you the details of how I got to the following conclusions, but here they are :
- You want to install the 32 bit Postgres ODBC Drivers not the 64 bit ones. Actually you can install both 32 and 64 but you have to configure the 32 bit data source. In Toad when you click thru to the ODBC configuration tool you wind up in the 32 bit version.
- The 32 bit ODBC admin tool is located here : c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
- The 64 bit ODBC admin tool is located here : c:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe
- Yes it looks like I got the 32 bit paths backwards in #2 and #3, I didn’t thats really how it is. Also both the 64 and 32 bit versions are in fact named odbcad32.exe. Chalk it up to some bad mushrooms at Redmond.
- This is critical. If you already have the 64 bit odbc admin tool open when you try to launch the 32 bit odbc admin tool, the 32 bit version doesn’t actually start. Instead the 64 bit admin tool simply moves to the foreground on your screen. The opposite is also true if you are running the 32 bit version and try to launch the 64 bit version.
If you d/l and install the 32 bit odbc drivers for postgres and configure the data source using the 32 bit admin tool then you can easily connect via Toad Data Point. If you do something else…. well … consider it a learning opportunity.